Choosing The Best Golf Balls For The Money
Whether you are new to the game or a seasoned player, golf balls are one of the things that you’ll buy yourself more than just once. And for good reason, there is a lot of variety on the market because golf balls are designed for all the different types of players.
So, you can shop for the best golf balls for beginners, for the average player, for golfers with a high handicap, and so on – the options seems almost limitless. Of course, with so many options it can be difficult to know which are the best golf balls on the market for your particular playing skills.
Here at Where’s My Caddie, we want to help you find the ball that is the best fit for your game and goals. Keep reading to learn more about the balls that are available to buy as well as our recommendations for the top golf balls on the market.
- Types of Golf Balls
- Golf Ball Construction
- Golf Ball Covers
- Golf Ball Reviews
- Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls Review
- Titleist Velocity Golf Balls Review
- TaylorMade Project (a) Golf Balls Review
- Volvik Vivid Golf Balls Review
- Precept Laddie X Golf Balls Review
- Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls Review
- Bridgestone Golf e6 Golf Balls Review
- Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls Review
- Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls Review
- TaylorMade Tour Preferred X Golf Balls Review
Types of Golf Balls
As you get ready to shop, you will notice that there are three main types of golf ball options for you to choose from. Each have slightly different designs and purpose, depending on your game objectives when you hit the course.
Distance golf balls:
|When you want maximum speed and distance, then go with this option. The two-piece design has cores that are purposely designed to give your maximum velocity off the clubface. The end result of this design is maximum distance.|
Spin control golf balls:
|Do you have problems with slices and hooks? If those tendencies plague, then this option is the perfect choice. It’s design results in a low-spin golf ball that reduces hooks and slices.|
Total performance golf balls:
|Looking for the whole package? Then this multilayer, multi-construction golf ball option is the best choice for you. In fact, most of the good golfers prefer using this type of golf ball on the course as it gives you the perfect mix of control, performance and spin control.|
Golf Ball Construction
Among the various types of golf balls, you will notice that there are really only two types of construction among them. The ball will either be two-piece or multi-layer construction.
|This one has a solid inner core and a high-restitution outer cover. Construction like this results in the max energy transfer to the ball at impact with your club.|
|This has three or four layers and the core of the ball is wrapped in one or two mantle layers under an outer cover. Three-piece and four-piece golf balls are a good match for golfers with moderate to high clubhead speeds who want distance and feel.|
Why Do Golf Balls Have Dimples?
This is a common question from new golfers. In fact, it was one of the questions that I was always curious about until I actually learned more about this sport. It turns out that those dimples are there for a good reason. They actually reduce drag and alter the trajectory of your shot. So, if you want a higher flight, then be sure to go with a golf ball that has larger, shallower dimples.
Golf Ball Covers
As with construction type, there are two main types of covers for golf balls. The cover will be either urethane or surlyn.
Urethane golf ball cover:
|This is the softer type of cover, which is typically seen on multi-layer and total performance golf balls. This type of cover gives golfers better feel and control of the ball.|
Surlyn golf ball cover:
|This is the harder type of cover, which also means that it is more durable. This type of cover is better at preventing cuts and nicks, but you don’t have as good of a feel with it.|
Golf Ball Reviews
Need some help deciding which of our recommended models are the best beginner golf balls for you? Take a moment to see what our editors think of the different options on the market with these golf ball reviews.
Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls Review
- NEW FastLayer Core -The new FastLayer Core offers distance and soft feel without compromise due to a gradual transition...
- NEW Spin Skin with SeRM - A new urethane coating with flexible molecular bonds digs deep into wedge and iron grooves for...
- NEW Alignment Aid - New side stamping aids in alignment when standing over those critical putts.
- Gradient growth core (E.G.G.) enhances feel and Control from the inside while increasing ball speed
- Engineered with tour ball technology
- Comes in box of 12
These high quality balls come with proprietary Spin Skin technology to control spin through a combination of high friction and soft feel. They also have an energetic gradient growth core for speed as well as a 344 Speed Dimple cover and S.T.A.R. performance tuning. They are a great alternative to the more expensive balls and are much more affordable, and they help reduce spin, get a better feel and increase speed. They are recommended for mid to high handicap players, being designed for average players with a minimum 75 mph swing speed.
- Cover Hardness: 57
- Cover Thickness: 0.057″
- Compression: 77
- Dimple Number: 324
- Reduces spin, good for mid to high handicap players
- Not as good in high winds.
Titleist Velocity Golf Balls Review
- Longer Distance
- Extremely Low Long Game Spin
- Greater Iron Stoppability
- Tight, consistent ball flight, proprietary LSX core
- Fast initial velocity for explosive distance
- Comes in box of 12
These golf balls are designed to deliver fast initial speed for distance, with good feel for the short game. With LSX core technology in a NAZ2 cover formulation, they have a consistent flight and high ball numbers. The dimple design is spherically-tiled and tetrahedral with 328 dimples. They also have double digits, making them easy to identify and distinguish on the course. These are good balls for a slightly slower swing, and thus are liked by senior players, and give great range off the tee and on all full-swing shots.
- Very fast ball, good feel
- Slightly expensive for beginners
TaylorMade Project (a) Golf Balls Review
- tour technology. soft feel
- 322 seamless dimple pattern
- Dual Distance Core
- Softer Tour ball for amateurs
- 8 to 18 handicap
- Comes in box of 12
This is a three piece ball designed for amateurs and handicaps from 8 to 18. They have a tour spin, making them easier to control and resulting in more accurate shots, and a very soft feel – the cast urethane design gives high spin on short shots and low spin on drives. This is an easy to play ball and a great cheaper alternative to the expensive ProV1 balls, and give a very similar result, including performing well in poor conditions. An ideal ball for competitive amateurs.
- Good feel, low spin, easy to play, durable
- Scuff easily.
Volvik Vivid Golf Balls Review
- Low Driver Spin, High Launch and More Distance driven by Volvik’s Nano Bi High Energy Resilient Core.
- Patented Matte Finish and Vibrant Colors.
- Minimized Glare on Ball Surface promotes Concentration and Improved Ball Striking.
- Bright color increases visibility in air or on the ground
- Explosive distance for slower to medium swing speeds rated by power core
- Improved accuracy
For a ball which stands out, the Volvik Vivid balls are unlikely to be the same as anyone else’s on the course – and the color offers enhanced visibility to make it easy to find if it strays off the fairway, combined with a unique matte finish. You can buy them in bright green, orange, pink, or red. A power core gives good distance, whilst the ball is designed to give the best spin rate for the speed, adding to control on the green. This is a three-piece low compression ball which offers soft feel. Designed for golfers with slower swing speeds, they work well for beginner and advanced golfers.
- Unique matte finish makes them easy to find.
- Tend to drift left.
Precept Laddie X Golf Balls Review
- Enhanced Velocity muscle fiber core
- Touch control ionomer cover
- Distance optimized 372 dimple design
- Enhanced Velocity Muscle-Fiber Core
- Precise 372 Wind Cheating Dimple Design
- Comes in a 24-pack of balls
Looking for good feel combined with longer distance? These balls are designed for low spin, high launch and rapid flight. The dimple design is 372 and the core is Enhanced Muscle-Fiber for great feel and control. Add a Touch N’ControlIonomer cover and these are great balls and they are very affordable – perfect for beginner or older players who have lost a bit of speed. They come in large value packs, and because of their low budget there are no worries about losing them.
- Very affordable, good for beginner players.
- No backspin.
Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls Review
- Chrome Soft takes Tour performance to another level; We’ve reengineered every aspect and element in the ball for more...
- A faster, larger Graphene-infused Dual SoftFast Core is designed for increased distance; The significantly larger inner...
- New proprietary Ionomer blend creates more efficient energy transfer from the Dual SoftFast Core for faster ball speed;...
- Low Compression For Incredibly Soft Feel
- Fast Ball Speed Off The Driver
- More Spin and Control
Want longer tee shots, low spin, and softer feel around the greens? Callaway, the world’s number one club maker, now makes the world’s number one ball, the Callaway Chrome Soft 2016. Four piece construction and Callaway’s proprietary Duel SoftFast core combine to give players of all skill levels maximum length, low spin, and exceptional control. The Chrome Soft 2016 features low compression for extremely soft feel, and a highly durable Tour Urethane Cover. From tee to green, the Callaway Chrome Soft 2016 outperforms all other balls.
- Long off the tee, low spin, soft feel, good for players of all skill levels, comes in white and color.
- A little expensive
Bridgestone Golf e6 Golf Balls Review
- BRIDGESTONE GOLF BALLS: Switch to the BRIDGESTONE GOLF e6 SPEED golf ball and feel what it is like to gain accuracy,...
- E6 GOLF BALLS: Pack of 12 BRIDGESTONE GOLF e6 SPEED Optic Yellow golf balls for men; This golf ball helps improve your...
- SPEED GOLF BALLS: This golf ball from BRIDGESTONE GOLF features a multi-layer design optimized for high performance from...
- Softest Multi-Layer Ball on the Market
- Anti-side spin inner layer to improve your accuracy and scores
- Comes in a 12-pack of balls
Bridgestone e6 golf balls in optic orange, are designed for the golf professional who desires performance command over every swing. When playing golf there is no other greater satisfaction than sinking the ball. Golf 2015 e6 balls are designed for players who insist on precision in putting delivery and distance. With Golf 2015 e6 balls, accuracy in flight is optimized for a straighter shot on the green. Recommended for long distance putting, the Golf 2015 e6 is a world-class ball product sold by golf pro shops.
Made by the most reputable golf ball manufacturer in the segment, Bridgestone, Golf 2015 6e are seamless balls, embedded with 326 WEB dimple surface overlay, for durability and strength during golf game play. Sealed with 3-piece, multi-layer IonomerSurlyn exterior finishing, Golf 2015 e6 balls are crafted for maximum resistance on strike, and stable ergonomic grip pick-up and handling in all-weather course conditions.
- 3-Piece, Multi-layer Ionomer Cover Construction for durability and repeat use.
- ball weight not recommended for female golfers.
Professional and novice golfers like to play with Bridgestone Golf e6 balls. Experience the number one golf ball solution to pro mastery of a hole-in-one.
Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls Review
- Extraordinary distance with consistent flight
- Very low long game spin and penetrating trajectory
- Drop-and-stop short game control
- Long Lasting Durability
- Exceptional distance
- Come in 12-pack of balls
The #1 ball in golf is here! The Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls have a softer feel that leads to exceptional distance. Plus, their long-lasting durability ensures that they’ll show no or very little wear and will generously maintain their original color and sheen — so you can enjoy these golf balls for years to come. Once you play golf using Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls, you’ll see why all the professionals love using them! It’s really no wonder that the Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls are the number-one golf balls on worldwide tours.
- Great reputation in the golf community, excellent quality, have been said to arrive at target more accurately with spin than any other balls out there, leads to soft landing on the green, provides consistent flight for skilled golfers, great value
- Can be more expensive than other models
Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls Review
- Super soft Magna is oversized ball that creates all the super long, super straight, and super soft characteristics of...
- The ultra-low compression core promotes faster ball speed for longer distance and increased accuracy
- Newly designed HEX Aerodynamics are optimized to reduce drag and enhance lift for long carry and long distance
- Ultra Low Compression reduces spin for increased distance
- Multi-Pack comes with a sleeve of each color (White, Blue, Orange, Yellow)
- Come as a pack of 12 balls
Question: What do you get when you combine the lowest compression golf ball with HEX aerodynamics? Answer: Callaway’s softest golf ball! At 35 compression points, the Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls are the softest on the market. They’re also super long, which means their ultra low compression core delivers maximum ball speed with reduced spin for increased distance. Plus, they’re super straight, which means a low spin, leading to an incredibly straight ball flight. This multi-pack comes with a sleeve of each color — turquoise blue, lime green, orange and white. These vibrant colors allow for better visibility both in the air and on the ground — so you’ll never lose a golf ball again.
- Very soft feel (comparable to butter), good budget, good distance off the tee, balls don’t spin hard off the club face (which helps straighten out drives and long club shots), gives a spring off the tee that’s not found with other balls, bright colors make it easy to find the ball
- Can be harder to control on the putting green than a few other balls
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X Golf Balls Review
- Made for single Digit handicap
- Our most controlled ball
- 5 piece ball
- Delivers low spin on all full shots and amazing spin and control around the greens
- It feels firmer than the Tour Preferred
- Comes in a pack of 12 balls
Your game would be that much more fabulous if you had golf balls that complimented your skill. These twelve globes will place you in another league with an incredible design that leads the way to success on the court. One of the most controlled creations by TaylorMade, these golf balls deliver low spin off the driver and when making full shots. The spheres, however, provide maximum speed and spin when shots are taken on terrain and with wedges. There is not another ball like this globe that has five layers into its structure. Golfing like the professionals has never been easier.
- Solid at impact, good backspin, excellent side spin, great distance, superb control
- Cover scuffs after only a few uses
Last update on 2021-02-28 at 11:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API