The short game of golf is the enemy of many golfers. Overshooting or undershooting on a short chip can result in a lot of strokes over time and it can potentially ruin your score. For this reason, you are going to want to buy the best possible chipper on the market so that your shots are as accurate as possible and so that you can get the lowest score that you are capable of.
To assist you with the task of finding a quality chipper, we have decided to create a chipper buyer’s guide as well as a list of our picks for the top chippers on the market so that you can see firsthand what options you have available.
Golf Chipper Buyer’s Guide
What chipper should I purchase?
The first thing and the most important thing that you are going to have to decide when choosing a chipper is the angle of the club and how far you want to chip the ball. Different chippers are designed to be able to hit the ball higher than others and there are chippers that are also capable of hitting the ball a further distance. Generally, you will find that all of these types of clubs do hit the ball relatively high into the air as this will stop the ball from rolling and going where you don’t want it to go. It never hurts to look at the angles of your highest irons e.g. eight and nine irons, to see what kind of angle they have on them before you go to pick up a chipper. Not all manufacturers will put the exact angle of the club in their product specifications, but sometimes they will compare the unit to that of the angle of other clubs, which is something to be on the lookout for.
Choosing the correct orientation:
If you haven’t golfed before and are looking to pick up a chipper, you are going to need to know your golfing orientation. This simply means what hand of golf club you need to purchase so that you will be swinging in the direction that you feel the most comfortable swinging in. If you do not know what orientation you are it is a good idea to test both left and right handed clubs to see how far you can hit the ball and see what is the most comfortable for you. The more you practice with a certain hand the more you will likely begin to realize which direction is the most comfortable for you. It also does not hurt to get the opinion of someone who golfs as they will have a much better idea as to what a natural swing looks like and which way looks the most natural when you are swinging a club.
What length of a chipper should I aim to get?
Determining what length of a club you should get really depends on how tall you are and your swinging style. Generally, the best way to see how long of clubs you should purchase is to look up a sizing chart and match your height to the length of clubs that you need. There are plenty of sizing charts online that you can take a look at and it is really easy to figure out size after having a look at one of these charts. If you don’t trust these charts another way you can decide what size you need is to go to a golf shop and try out some clubs. Some golf shops even measure you and will make recommendations as to what size of clubs you will likely need. The best thing about golf shops is that they often have a driving range/ net setup within the shop so that you can test out clubs on the spot and see how they feel.
What degree of loft should I aim to pick up?
This can be the hardest decision to make when it comes to picking up a chipper. Chippers have a huge range in club loft and it is definitely important to decide what loft is the best for your set of clubs. If you have something like a pitching wedge, sand wedge or nine iron in your current golf set, you are definitely going to want to check out the loft on those clubs. A chipper is designed to be able to hit the ball nice and high, but you are likely going to want to pick up a club that is a different angle than what you already have in your bag. Some nine irons and other clubs will have varying lofts depending on who made the unit so no matter what brand you are going for, you may want to take a look to see what you already have before making a decision.
What is a head cover and is this something that I should look for to come with my chipper?
If you do not know what a head cover is, it is essentially a cloth piece that goes over the top of the head of your club. These products often come with clubs, but they don’t always. The cloth design is essential protection for the head of your club within your bag. If you have no head covers on your clubs, it is likely that your clubs are going to bang together and become scratched and damaged over time. This is definitely something that you may want to look for that comes with a chipper, but you can always purchase these separately, which is something that you will want to keep in mind.
What do I look for in terms of brand name?
One thing that you likely know about golf is that there are a lot of big name brands that a lot of people like to stick to. It definitely does not hurt to buy from these brands as they normally offer a good quality product and a long warranty. However, these companies do tend to charge a bit of a premium for their brand name to be on a golfing product such as a chipper and you are likely going to have to have a higher budget to purchase one of these products. There are good quality golf chippers made from brands that you have likely never heard of before, but it is a good idea to make sure that they do make quality products by means of seeing what else they have to offer and checking out things like videos and write ups about the things that they offer. Be skeptical and you shouldn’t run into too many problems.
What should I look for in a golf chipper shaft?
Generally, you are going to find one of two types of golf chipper shafts available. The first and cheapest type of shaft that you are going to come across is a stainless steel shaft. This type of shaft is not the high-end type. The design is heavy and doesn’t allow for a whole lot of club flex, which means that you can’t hit the ball quite as far with one of these types of shafts. Luckily, this type of shaft is normally the cheapest type of shaft and you won’t find a ton of these golf clubs available in the market. In today’s golf game the material you are going to see the most often used is graphite. Graphite is especially good at allowing you to be able to hit the ball a good distance. A graphite design is lighter than that of a stainless steel and therefore you can swing harder and hit the ball further with one of these clubs. The other main reason that you may want to look for a graphite design is due to the fact that a graphite design allows the club to flex at impact, which results in a harder hit and more distance to your ball.
What do I look for in a grip for a golf chipper?
If you want to get the best possible chipper on the market, you should make sure that you definitely take a good look at what kind of a grip is on the unit. A good quality grip on a club should allow you to be able to grab onto your club in a comfortable manner. The grip should be designed in a way that helps to stabilize your hands so that you don’t roll them during your swing. It may be a good idea to look for a club that has grooves in the grip so that you can be sure that you will be able to get a good grasp on the club allowing you to be able to shoot more accurately time after time.
Golf Chipper Reviews
PreciseGolfCo. Golf Chipper HX-9 Chipping Wedge Review
If you have a high budget to pick up a chipper and want to get one of the nicest ones available on the market, you may want to consider one of these units. The design comes in a right handed orientation and is designed to be able to allow you to hit the ball from any lie within 60 yards of the hole. Although the unit only comes in a stainless steel design, this is one of the nicest chippers available and it can definitely improve your golfing game.
- The unit is designed with a heavy head and a low center of gravity allowing you to be able to swing the unit faster and more accurately
- The unit has an upright lie angle on it, which allows you to be able to use the club just like a putter
- The club allows for you to easily be able to get the ball airborne regardless of the distance that you have to hit the ball
- The unit has 37 degrees of loft in its design
- The unit is a little bit on the heavy side of things, which will allow you to be able to get a very good feeling of the club at all times
- The golf club is not made by a really big brand name, which might turn some people off of purchasing the unit
- The club only comes in a stainless steel design, which may seem to be a bit heavy for the likes of some golfers
Where to buy:
So long as you are okay with picking up a club that is a little bit on the heavier side of things, you are going to like this unit. This club is available for a high budget price, but it offers one of the most accurate shots on the market and is capable of hitting the ball a fair distance. The unit has a standard chipper loft of 37 degrees, which is more than capable of being able to lift the ball off of the ground and over to your target. If you can afford this club, you should definitely consider it as your short distance chips will surely improve after picking up this product.
Golf Chipper Club by Paragon Sports Review
If you want to save a bit of money on a golf chipper and pick up something for a moderate budget range, you may want to grab one of these products. The unit is available in a right handed orientation and is capable of performing some pretty awesome chips. The club is available in both a 35 as well as a 34-inch length so that it is capable of working for a broader range of people.
- The unit is made out of a solid stainless steel construction, which means this product will certainly last you a long time
- The design has a 37-degree loft, which is pretty standard for a chipper
- The unit has a nice finish on it and alignment assist so that you can better line up your shots
- The design is meant to allow you to be able to hit the ball regardless of whether it is on a hill or on flat ground
- You should be able to roughly hit the ball about 30 yards with this design
- Only comes in a right handed orientation
- The stainless steel shaft that this unit is made out of does make this product a little on the heavier side of things
Where to buy:
So long as you are a right handed golfer and are okay with picking up something that is a stainless steel design, you are going to love this chipper. This design allows you to easily be able to hit the ball to a good spot regardless of where you are hitting from. The club has a regular 37-degree loft allowing you to be able to get a decent amount of loft on your shots and be able to hit the ball where you please. This is definitely a unit that you should consider if you can afford the moderate price tag that comes with this product.
Extreme 5 Chipper Review
If you are looking to be able to pick up a chipper for a medium budget range, you should definitely make sure that you take a good look at this chipper. This is a club that comes in three different lengths to suit your needs and that comes in a right handed design. The unit is built to be really easy to hit with and the shape of the head of the unit greatly reduces your chances of messing up a shot. If you want to save money on a chipper, you should definitely check this one out.
- The unit has a wide bottom on it allowing you to be able to hit a golf ball even in rough terrain
- The unit has a large face area which will help to allow you to be able to shoot straighter more often
- The head of the unit is made out of a durable stainless steel, which means that this club is likely to last you for a long time
- The club comes in a 33, 34, as well as a 35-inch length
- The unit has a standard rubber grip on it, which will give you a good quality grip on the club and increase your accuracy
- The unit has a 36-degree loft in its design allowing you to be able to hit a bit of a distance if you desire to do so
- The shaft only comes in a stainless steel design
- The unit only comes in a right handed orientation, which is not going to work for some people
Where to buy:
If you are willing to deal with the fact that this unit has a stainless steel shaft and only comes in a right handed orientation, you are going to like this product. The unit allows you to be able to hit off of any kind of terrain that you please and it even comes in a few different lengths to suit your needs. This is a product that allows for precision, but that is available for a moderate budget that most people can actually afford to purchase. Definitely a club that you should make sure that you consider.
Wilson Men’s Harmonized Golf Chipper Review
If you are looking to get a golf club made from a relatively big name brand in golf for a reasonable price tag, you should have a look at this club. Unfortunately, this unit only comes in a 35-inch length and a right handed design. However, if these specs are suitable for your body, you are going to be a huge fan of this great chipper. The unit allows you to easily be able to line up your shots and hit off of any terrain that you please.
- The design has a head shape on it that allows you to be able to use this club on any terrain that you please
- The unit makes alignment a breeze and increases your chipping accuracy as a result
- The design is perfect for difficult locations around the green and excels at really short distance chips
- The unit comes from a famous line of golf clubs to give you peace of mind with your purchase
- Stainless steel design of the unit makes this a very durable club, which is ideal
- The unit actually comes with a head cover so that you can be sure that your chipper is properly protected in your bag
- The design has a loft on it similar to that of an eight iron, which means you can get some distance out of this golf chipper
- The unit only comes with a stainless steel shaft
- The club is only a right handed design
Where to buy:
If you want to save some money on a golf club, but buy something that is made from a big name manufacturer in golf, you should check out this chipper. With this club, your short game is sure to improve so long as the specs on this club suit your body type. The club will allow you to be able to hit the ball from almost any terrain with ease. Although the unit may only come in a stainless steel design, this does allow the unit to have some great feel and definitely adds some durability. This is a unit you should make sure you consider if you want to save money and buy something from a well-known brand at the same time.
Intech Approach Two-Way Chipper Review
If you are looking to share your club or just want a fancy design, you will definitely be interested in this chipper. The coolest thing about this chipper is that is a two faced design allowing both right handed as well as left handed golfers to be able to use the product. The unit has a pretty low price tag and if you have a large group of putters and like to share your clubs around, you will definitely want to make sure you consider this really sophisticated design.
- The unit is easy to use for both right handed and left handed golfers
- The design is built with the loft of a seven iron allowing you to be able to hit the ball a fairly long distance if you desire
- The unit does not conform to the rules of golf, which is great for people who struggle to play correctly
- The design has the length of a putter, which makes this unit really accurate
- The design allows you to be able to hit off of rough terrain if you desire
- Stainless steel design of the product is quite durable and will hold up over time
- This product has a 35-inch length only
- The unit only has a stainless steel design, which some people may not be a huge fan of
- This is technically an illegal club that you wouldn’t be allowed to use in competition
- The design has a 56-degree angle on it, which is quite a high number for this type of club
Where to buy:
If you aren’t planning on going into big golfing tournaments and are happy playing golf for fun, you are going to like this club. The design only comes in a 35-inch size, but the fact that it can be used by both left and right handed golfers definitely helps to make the club that much more appealing. This club will certainly allow you to have a more accurate short game over time, but it may take you a while to get used to the angle that is on this chipper. A very cool unit if you like to share your clubs around and definitely one that is popular in the marketplace for that very reason.
After browsing through our article it is our hope that you now feel like you will be able to pick out a quality chipper. It can be quite difficult to purchase a club without actually picking it up and trying it, but once you know what goes into a quality chipper, this process does become a little easier. Always make sure that you double check measurements and angles before purchasing and it is unlikely that you are going to be disappointed if you have put in the research and the effort. Best of luck in finding a new chipper and we hope that your short game improves!
image licensed via Deposit Photos