Senior Golfers Beginner’s Equipment Guide: Top Golf Club Sets for Golfers Over 50
If you haven’t golfed before and want to get a full set of clubs to use out on the course there are a lot of things that you are going to have to decide on. The nice thing about buying a set of clubs is that a set of clubs is almost always a lower price tag than if you purchase a bunch of clubs separately.
Best Clubs For Senior Golfers
If you want to have some idea as to what you should look for in a good set of golf clubs, we’ll give you some tips on what to look for below. But if you want our recommendations, here are a few of our picks for some nice sets of clubs that are available:
Callaway Men’s Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set – top men’s pick!
If you have a moderate to low budget for a set of clubs and want to get something that is of a pretty good quality, you should definitely make sure that you have a look at this golf set. This set comes in a left as well as a right handed orientation, which means that this set works for almost anyone. The set has specs for each club within it and there is a total of 18 different clubs within this set, which covers everything that you could possibly need when you are out on the course.
- A total of five head covers come with this set, which is ideal for keeping your drivers and hybrid clubs damage free
- The unit has stainless steel irons, which are more consistent than that of graphite
- The design comes with a driver, a 3 wood a 5 wood a 4 and 5 hybrid as well as a 6, 7, 8, and 9 iron, two different wedges and a putter
- With this set you get a very high quality golf bag that has a stand on it allowing you to be able to stand the golf bag up with ease
- The face of all of these clubs was foraged using precise milling, which helps to make your shots easier to control and therefore helps to lower your score on the course
- The driver in this set has a large, forgiving sweet spot, which is ideal for a beginner
- The three and five wood included have a very aerodynamic head shape allowing you to be able to swing faster and hit the ball further
- The reasonable price tag of this golf set is extremely appealing even if you are on a budget
- This golf set does come available with a two or a three year equipment protection warranty at some retailers if you want to have some peace of mind with your purchase
- The design only comes with the ability to get stainless steel irons, which some people might not like
- You get no choice as to what configuration of clubs you want in your set and are stuck with what you get
If you don’t mind having your six iron as your lowest iron, you are going to love this set. This is a very good set for the price tag and it is definitely a great set for a beginner. With the ability to be able to pick up this golf set in a left or right handed orientation it is hard to turn your back on this deal unless it isn’t a size that is appropriate for your body. The specs are given for each club in this set and you can tell that with the gradual increase in loft and quality manufacturer of these clubs that this set is going to be a great performer out on the course. An awesome set of clubs for someone looking to get into golf that doesn’t have a massive budget to be able to pick up all of the equipment that they need.
Callaway Women’s Strata Complete Golf Set – top women’s pick!
If you are looking to get a complete set of women’s clubs for a low to moderate price tag and don’t want to sacrifice quality, you should check out what this bag of clubs has to offer. The unit is available in a left as well as a right handed design to suit your needs. The eleven piece set may not have every club in the book, but the clubs are capable of covering pretty much any distance that you need to be able to shoot the ball.
- This set of clubs comes with a driver as well as a five wood; both clubs have large sweet spots, which is ideal for a beginner
- The design comes with a five hybrid, which helps to make long iron shots easier for beginners
- The set comes with a 7 iron a 9 iron as well as a sand wedge to get you out of tough areas around the green
- The set comes with a very nice light weight bag, which will allow you to carry your clubs around the course with ease
- The design comes with three head covers so that you can protect your woods as well as your hybrid from damage
- The woods in this bag have graphite shafts in their design, which makes for a lighter club allowing you to swing faster and hit the ball further
- The bag that comes with this unit has a cooler pocket for food and drink that you want to keep cool
- The design comes with a rain hood that you can use to keep your clubs dry
- The length of each club as well as the degree of the loft of each club is given in the specs, which is ideal for making sure that the clubs are suitable for you
- This putter comes in a unique T style alignment, which helps you be able to line up the ball with the hole
- This set of clubs does come available with a two year protection plan at some retailers that you can pick up if you desire when checking out
- The club set does have a few gaps in loft, which may make it harder to hid moderate to close distances accurately
- The 2015 club set is a few years old, which some people may not like
If you are okay with having a few gaps in club loft here and there in exchange for having a lower price tag, you are going to like this set of clubs. This is a set of clubs that allows you to be able to learn golf with ease. These clubs are designed to be lightweight and easy to use. The elimination of long irons for a hybrid club in the set makes hitting long distances on the grass a lot easier to do. This is definitely a set of clubs that you might want to consider if you have a low to medium sized budget and want to pick up a nice set to learn the game with.
What To Consider
When you purchase a set of clubs, you almost always get a bag with your purchase as well as a set of irons, woods, a driver and a putter. Here are the things that you need to consider if you want to purchase a set of clubs:
What Orientation am I?
Generally, when you are looking at sets of clubs, one of, if not the only option you can choose from at the checkout is the orientation of the clubs. If you don’t already know your orientation, the best way to figure it out is to go try out some golf clubs. Generally, you will golf the same direction as that of your dominant hand, but some people prefer to golf in the other direction. It is not easy to be able to golf with your wrong hand so it is extremely important to make sure you choose the right orientation at the checkout. If you are doubtful on which way you should shoot, you should get an experienced golfer to look at you when shooting with both orientations of clubs as they will have a better idea as to what looks natural.
What sort of a budget should I have for a set of clubs?
If you are brand new to golf, you definitely shouldn’t be spending a fortune on a set of clubs. Having a budget under $1000 is more than enough to be able to get you a half decent club set that you can improve with. The nice thing about golf sets is that they last for a long time, which means that even if you golf a few times and decide you don’t like it, you shouldn’t have too hard of a time selling your set of clubs to someone else who wants to give golfing a try. When setting a budget for yourself it is always important to consider how often you plan to golf so that you can decide if the price is worth it for you over the long term.
How Many Clubs are in the Set:
This is an important factor that should play a large role in your decision making. The more clubs you get, the better. However, you want to make sure that you are actually getting a quality set of clubs and not just a massive set of bad clubs. It is a good idea to look to see what kinds of clubs are in the set in order to make sure that all distances are covered. When buying a set of clubs, you don’t want to have to go out and buy another club afterwards to fill a hole in your bag, which is something you will want to keep in mind.
One of the most important things to look at when you are choosing a set of clubs is the loft of the clubs. When buying a set, you should see a steady incline in the angle of loft starting at the lowest loft in the driver and going up steadily through the lowest wood through to the highest wood over to the lowest iron to the highest iron. You want to see a consistent increase in the loft of clubs as you go through them as it will allow you to have more consistency between your shots. Over time, you will begin to notice that you hit a certain club a certain length almost every time that you hit it, which is why it is so important to have varying degrees of loft so that you can hit the ball anywhere on the course that you need.
As we touched on earlier in the guide, the shaft of golf clubs plays a large role in your gameplay. When buying a set of clubs, you will definitely want to look to make sure that you are getting clubs that have a shaft on them that is appropriate for you. Make sure that the clubs are a reasonable length for your size (view a sizing chart) and you should also make sure that the clubs have a shaft that you want to golf with. Remember from earlier that steel is less flexible, cheaper and more consistent, while graphite is more flexible, a lighter weight and allows you to hit the ball a further distance.
One of the most important things to look for when you are purchasing a set of clubs are the accessories that come with the set. The more accessories you get with your clubs, the less money you are going to have to spend later on. It is a good idea to look for things like a quality golf bag, head covers for your clubs and even things like a towel or rain cover that go with your golf bag. Small things like this certainly add to the value of a set of clubs and it is something that you should take a look for when comparing deals.
One thing that you should expect to find when purchasing a quality set of clubs is a long warranty. Golf clubs are made out of metal and graphite materials, which are both very durable. If a manufacturer isn’t willing to put a long warranty on their clubs at the checkout it is likely that the clubs are not all that great. Expect to be able to pick up a warranty of at least one year on a set of clubs, which will give you lots of time to be able to discover any defects or problems with the set while it is still under warranty and can be repaired or replaced.