Widely referred to as the gentlemen’s game, golf has lived up to its billing over the years. The game attracts both men and women of different walks of life all over the world. To begin enjoying the game, however, you need good golf spikes for your golfing shoes.
And you’ll need to replace them fairly regularly for the best performance out on the course. As a weekend hobbyist, you’re looking at maybe every six months for replacement, whereas daily golfers should consider replacements every two months. If you’re new to these and not sure what to look for, you can check out our recommendations there or read our tips below for shopping for some quality golf spikes.
What Are Golf Spikes?
Golf spikes are attached to a golf shoe to afford the golfer the much-needed stability while on the swing. They also limit unwanted moves from the golfer offering him traction while playing on grass sand or any other surface. Normally there are eight spikes on the body of the shoe and four on the heel. It’s advisable to replace golf spikes regularly for efficiency; you also might want to upgrade to a better spike at need basis. Looking at the stores today, there are different golf spikes you can purchase, for instance, Zama and scorpion spikes. The Zama is tailored for comfort and adaptability while the Scorpion’s eight spikes is famed for its grip.
Why You Need Them?
Golf spikes are a valuable asset; nothing is as embarrassing as slipping and falling on the golf course especially when you are in the middle of a swing. To underline your status as an upcoming pro or a true pro, you need to get yourself some golf spikes. Here’s why they come in handy:
- Stability – The terrain of most golf courses is unstable for normal shoes. Some are wet most time in the year while others have uneven terrains. The spikes on golf shoes have a tight grip on the ground, offering you the much-needed stability while playing. While stable you can perform better and hopefully beat your opponent by some margin.
- Comfort – Golfing is an engaging game, from the aiming to swinging the hips for that perfect shot and following up to check it’s landing. Comfort comes in handy while at it, and golf spikes offer just that. Golfers mostly end their stroke of the ball on at the feet.
- Durability – Everybody wants something that is long lasting. However, the number of hours that you play the game determines how long your spikes will stay before they wear out. Ceramic and metal spikes stay for a long time even though they are expensive. Beginners should consider these types of spikes if they have no plan of replacing the spikes regularly.
Types of Golf Spikes
- Metal golf spikes –Metal spikes are the most common among golfers. They are made from metal alloys and are famed for their durability. They also tend to perform better on rough courses. However, they are way heavier than their counterparts; golfers have also argued that they leave tear patches on courses. This makes the course maintenance cost to skyrocket.
- Rubber golf spikes – Rubber spikes are crafted from durable polyurethane and are also popular among golfers. Rubber spikes are affordable making them an ideal option for beginners. They are also light in weight, which ticks the comfort box. Their cost is fair enough for any golfer to afford whether a professional golfer or a beginner. However, the rubber material making them the wears out quite quickly.
- Ceramic golf spikes – Ceramic golf spikes are the priciest of the lot. They, however, combine the advantages of both their counterparts presenting an ideal golfing solution for golfers. They last for long and are resistant to scuffs, cuts, and scratches making them highly favored by pro golfers. Their only downside, however, is that they are prone to corrosion and require constant maintenance.
Common Features & Other Considerations
All the three spikes variations come in similar styles and colors. The shapes are quite similar too. However, there are more things for you to consider as you shop. Below we’ll look at some of the basic features and other considerations for you.
Advancement in technology has given golfers a chance to change spikes on the shoes. Watch out for the screw-space on your shoe before buying any spikes since different shoes have different spike screw-space.
This one is two-dimensional; whereas you might want to save on cost, do not jeopardize on the quality while at it. For a beginner, you might want to go for the rubber spikes before you get the edge on the sort. However, for the pros, the ceramic spikes offer a more competitive edge and are adaptable to multiple terrains.
Frequency of play
Your golfing frequency should be a consideration while looking to purchase golf spikes. The number of days you play golf per week will determine the time that the spikes will last. A frequent golf player will find value in ceramic spikes while a golf player who plays the game at the weekend only will not mind using rubber spikes.
Golf Spikes Installation Tips
Gain a more powerful swing and traction by using good spiked shoes. Worn out spikes are a stability hazard and compromise on performance. Replacing worn-out spikes is easy and can be done by any golfer. Here’s a guide on how to easily replace them;
First, you will need to look at the shoe brand you have. Next, you should clean the soles to remove dirt, sand, mud, and grass. Using the spiking tool, mount the spikes on the shoes and make sure that the spikes are clean during installation. Spikes come in different variety of colors, different sizes, and different styles. Choose the ones that you think will fit you quite well. For you to prolong the lifetime of your spikes only wear your shoes on or around the course. To ease replacement of the spikes after they wear out, ensure that you keep each hole free from debris and dirt. The balance of your shoe needs to be optimal hence replace all spikes at the same time.
While on the course every player aspires to put on a powerful performance. Spiked shoes come in handy while at it as they offer comfort and stability. Get yourself some golf spikes today; you will be amused by how much they will improve your game.